5 Super Simple Natural Beauty Tips
Have you ever looked at the ingredients of your shampoo? Or your face cream? Your toothpaste?
If you have, you will have seen that the majority of the ingredients in these products are man-made chemicals. Some of them are potentially dangerous if they find their way into our bodies.
Of course, there are exceptions. There are some very famous brands that pride themselves on their products containing only natural ingredients. And good on them. But they can be even more expensive than the non-natural products. And most people just can't afford them.
So, what can you do? You would like to stop poisoning your body with chemical-laden beauty products, but it's difficult to justify paying the high prices for natural products.
Don't worry. The answer is a simple one, and cheaper than you could possibly imagine.
And the best thing is, you probably have most of the "products" already in your kitchen cupboards.
You will need:
Baking soda (otherwise known as bicarbonate of soda)
Apple cider vinegar (you can use white or red vinegar if you don't have apple cider vinegar)
Coconut oil (use the extra virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil)
Treatment 1 - Face scrub
- Wet your face. You can do this in the bath or shower.
- Take a spoonful of the soda in the palm of your hand and wet it. Use just enough water to make it into a paste. Then scrub your face with it for a minute or two. Be gentle around the eyes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Your skin will be smooth and radiant after this delightful treatment.
Treatment 2 - Shampoo
You'll be using the soda again, but how much you use will depend on how long your hair is. For hair that's longer than shoulder length, you should use about three heaped teaspoons of soda. Use less for shorter hair. Exact measurements are not necessary here. With repeated use, you'll soon discover the best amount for you.
- Wet your hair as you usually do when you're about to shampoo it. Put the soda into a cup of warm water (approx. 300ml). Stir it until the soda dissolves. Then, simply tip it over your head, making sure to get all your hair wet with the soda mixture.
- Rub it into your hair for a minute. Don't worry if it feels a bit gritty.
- When you're ready, rinse it all out under the shower.
Treatment 3 - Hair rinse
After your soda shampoo, you can put a vinegar rinse through your hair. It acts as a kind of conditioner.
- Combine a small amount of vinegar (depending on your hair length - try ¼ of a cup first) with a cup of warm water, and tip it over your wet head. Make sure that all or most of your hair gets some vinegar mix on it.
- Rub it in lightly, and leave it in for a couple of minutes before you rinse it off. This treatment will leave your hair with a nice shine when it dries.
Treatment 4 - Toothpaste
- Mix soda with some water to make a smooth paste. You can make a larger quantity and keep it in a glass jar with a screw top lid. For a fresh flavour, add a drop of peppermint oil to the paste.
- Put some on your toothbrush, wet it, and brush your teeth as usual. Rinse your mouth well.
Treatment 5 - Face moisturizer
This treatment requires coconut oil. A jar of coconut oil might seem expensive, but when you use it as a moisturizer, a little bit goes a long way.
You could put some into a small jar and keep it in the bathroom or bedroom, so it's on hand for your morning/evening beauty routine.
- Simply take some of the oil, and rub it gently into your skin, paying particular attention around the eyes. Don't worry if you've used too much - your skin will absorb it in no time
If the oil is in its solid state, all you have to do is hold a small amount of it in the palm of your hand for a little while. Your body heat will melt it quickly and you will then be able to apply it to your skin.
- After using it on your face, why not moisturize your hands with it too? And there's no reason not to use it for moisturizing other parts of your body as well.
A small jar of coconut oil used as a face moisturizer will last for months and months.
So, as you can see, there's no need to spend hundreds of dollars on luxury brand name beauty products. You have everything you need right there in your kitchen - for a fraction of the price. And it's all completely natural and chemical-free.