Drown those hangover blues, naturally
So you overindulged a bit the night before? Your head feels like it's just been through ten rounds with the Klitschko brothers, your stomach's churning and you can virtually chew on your breath.
Before you pop a handful of pills and try to sleep it off, try some of these natural ways to make the morning after more bearable.
- Drink a large glass of fresh, unsweetened orange or grapefruit juice and take a good multivitamin supplement.
- Drink a cup of peppermint tea to soothe your stomach.
- If you can get out of bed and face the kitchen, or if your partner has forgiven you for your behaviour the night before and is willing to help, whip up a simple, wholesome breakfast: yoghurt, porridge and honey with a sprinkling of wheatgerm, followed by a slice of dry rye toast.
- An aromatherapy bath with two drops each of lavender and juniper and one drop of rosemary essential oil will help melt away those hangover blues.
- Mix one drop of fennel and one drop of juniper essential oil into 500ml warm water. Dip cotton wool pads into the solution and dab your forehead, temples and liver area.
There are some excellent homeopathic hangover cures available at most pharmacies. Match the following to your symptoms:
- Nux vomica: If you're feeling dull, dizzy and irritable and you have a bad headache.
- Pulsatilla: If you've overindulged in alcohol and rich foods the night before.
- Sulphur: If you've been drowning your sorrows alone in the pub and are now experiencing flatulence and nervous exhaustion.
- Kali bichrom: If you're a beer drinker who suffers from nausea and vomiting.
SOS for your liver
If you are prone to overindulgence or if your social calendar consists of endless parties and restaurant meals, then you have to give your liver a break every now and again.
Rich or stodgy foods and alcohol can clog your lymphatic system, which will hamper the effective release of toxins from your body. The resulting build-up will put strain on your liver, kidneys, and your digestive and immune systems.
Help take the load off your lymph and flush out toxins in your system with this simple detoxifying drink:
- 3-4 tablespoons of pure cold-pressed olive/almond oil
- 6-8 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3-6 garlic cloves
- Freshly grated ginger, to taste
Pop all the above ingredients into a blender until frothy and drink it immediately.
Note: People with a history of gallstones should seek medical advice before drinking the drink and pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take it.
Image via Thinkstock